Friday, February 15, 2013

I Lost Again But A Great Day For Windham

from left; Kim Sypher, Cupid Karen Gilbransen, Mayor Eldridge, Wayne Norman
 Another Feb. 14th and another loss.  I think that's twenty three in a row. I've heard from town hall insiders that I have never received a vote.  Even Harry Carboni gets votes.  This mourning I was super optimistic .  Last night I received several phone calls from friends that went like this: Karen will be crowned cupid tomorrow and you should be there. all offered to pick me up.  The "pick
me up" part was key. They "needed" me there, you can't crown cupid  if there's no cupid.  This morning I received the key call, the head Jean-ette of the world was on the line.  Jean gave me the same line, Karen will be..... I told her I would try to make it, I was playing with her.  I could hear the panic in her voice and the perspiration on her brow.  She's no dummy, she knows you can't crown cupid if there's no cupid to be crowned. I left early for town hall, I went over my acceptance speech.  I timed it exactly, I know civilians are limited to three minutes in council chambers, I knew Joe Underwood would be there with a huge stop watch.  I promised myself  I would speak gently of politicians. my love for my fellow human beings and I would shed a few tears. As I walked into chambers I noticed Karen's parent in a far off office, I thought it was nice that they would attend to my coronation

And then it was over...the roof came down, (more roof problems) I lost, Karen won.  How did it go wrong?

Simple. Karen does a lot of "stuff'" to make Windham a better place, she's been taught well by Lynn Duval and Jean de Smet, the queens of "stuff."  Sixteen former cupids attended festivities yesterday,  all have done tons of "stuff" and  are still doing "stuff." It's the little people in the trenches, from Kathy Clark the inventor of "stuff" to ECSU students cleaning the nooks and cranny's of town, that have made Windham a great place..

So will I survive?  Things are looking up, already the reigning Cupid has offered her robe when she isn't wearing it.  Now I just have to do more "stuff." You have to work to win.

Congratulations Karen, You've come a long way

Proud Parents, Joan & George Gilbransen

1 comment:

  1. I remember KC very well as a young 17 year old rebel. Man she was on fire and wanted to do things in a big way. He job at Bev's and her own shop all learning experience. Her trips to New York, He thinking of the new world and her laughter all goo things.
    Her running around On Jean .
    third thursday.
    Good things happen to good people, Nice job KC.
    John..
    What can I say

    ReplyDelete