Friday, July 19, 2013

Main Street Water Fountains New and Old


Pictures of a rebuilt fountain at Memorial park
Pictures  of Main and Railroad Street Fountain
                  Jerry Doubleday's recent thread on Willimantic drinking fountains
Public Works Questions and answers: Many of you may question the Public
Works answer on chilling the fountain drinking water using ice.

Does anyone recall moving the downtown fountain to the Jillson parcel
during redevelopment?

Scroll down to Q & A's


Original stone basin
Note: steel pad covering junction box for plumbing 








#9

#29




#35


Circa 1930, PICTURE: http://www.threadcity.com/


Questions to Public Works Dept

Hello Public Works Dept

I am writing an article on the water fountains on Main and have a few questions. 
.
The new fountain at Memorial Park: 

Is it completely new or is the basin salvaged from the former fountain?
When did the former fountain cease functioning  and why?
There is a steel pad on the ground in front of the fountain. Is there some kind of a cistern
underneath the pad?
I've read that years ago in the hot weather the town would add blocks of ice to keep the water cold.
Is this true?

Fountain, Main and Railroad Streets

I came to Willimantic in 1973. I believe the fountain was still in use. Do you know
when it was removed and why? (assume redevelopment had something to do with it)
Do you have any history of the fountain?
Any pictures?
Was the water chilled by blocks of ice?

Thanks
John Monaghan
www,windhamweek.blogspot.com

Answers from Public Works Dept.

Regarding the water fountain questions;

·         The fountain was not in working order for decades. Possibilities vandelisum and economics
·         The new fountain has a new tap at the water main
·         The stone basin is the original.
·         The steel pad is the junction box for the plumbing.

·         Fountain on Railroad street was removed in redevelopment and re located just down the street at jillsonSq.

·         No history or pictures

·         No ice, the same potable water that everyone gets at the taps


10 comments:

  1. Nice information! I am intimidated by the excellence of information. There are a lot of high-quality funds here. I am sure I will visit this site again soon. I know something information, to know you can click here

    water softener
    water filter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to get some more decorations for my yard. It just seems to bare and no flare to it. I'd like to get a few fountains so I can make it look better. http://www.handetreasurechest.com/listing.asp?dept_id=45070&nopopup=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. This water fountain is a work of art. I want to see it come to life. I am always telling my friends to renovate their yards with garden water fountains to liven it up a bit. I think that water fountains really add a little character and are so much fun. I have a total of five water fountains in my garden and I am looking for another.

    Jessie | http://www.ksgiftsandmore.com/default.asp?dept_id=30030

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some really cool fountains! I've been wanting to get one for my yard so bad. After seeing those I might end up getting one like those. What kind would you recommend getting ?
    http://www.windystormshop.com/listing.asp?dept_id=30030&nopopup=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a fantastic idea. We have some fountains off Center street in our town. The kids love to play in them. It's actually what convinced us to get some smaller ones for home. http://www.handetreasurechest.com/listing.asp?dept_id=45070&nopopup=1

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like seeing ideas for water fountains. They add a lot to the area they are in. I'm planning on getting one for my yard soon. http://www.markaygifts.com/default.asp?dept_id=30030

    ReplyDelete
  7. i appreciated this article on this blog. Would like to check out again.

    Ozone Waste Water Treatment & Ozone Generators

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on this topic. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him. So I should thank you for the free lunch I got.

    MBR wastewater plants & Wastewater Treatment Plants

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice article on old fountains and i think you are satisfied from the answer given by Public Works Dept. I like the stone basin you shared, it looks so old and beautiful.

    Marble Fireplace

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Dear,

    I Like Your Blog Very Much. I see Daily Your Blog, is A Very Useful For me.

    You can also Find China FountainSCNJ Art Fountain Factory is a professional brand fountain design company in China, mainly involving fountain design, fountain manufacturer, fountain installation, fountain maintenance and other fountain business. We provide services worldwide. China Cooperation Hotline: + 86-18616679705.


    Please Visit at: https://www.thefountainshow.com/



    ReplyDelete